Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Sibling bliss

This morning, I had gotten out of bed to get my morning cup of joe, leaving Esme, Emil and Cleo all sleeping peacefully in bed. As I was finishing my coffee I heard signs of life from the bedroom, so I sneaked up to the door and listened in before slowly peaking at them. Esme was singing the ABC song to Emil, who was lying next to her and grinning ear-to-ear. Cleo was asleep under her blankie.

Those are the moments that my heart just stops. It's absolute parental bliss to see the two children, so young, and so adoring of each other. Not all sibling relationships go so smoothly, and I'm not sure whether nature or nuture plays a bigger role in how it shakes out, but I suspect it is a combination of both. I recall my mom telling me about her trip to the hospital to meet the first of five little brothers. She was steaming mad, sitting on the floorboard of the backseat with her baby doll. Esme's experience was so very different. She walked into our bedroom, where I was lying in bed with Emil in my arms, and exclaimed, "Baby brother out!"
Her tone of voice was sheer joy, like a little kid looking at presents under the tree, proof that Santa Claus had been here. She jumped onto the bed, nestled into my side and planted a big, gentle kiss on Baby Brother's cheek.

Esme has a super loving temperament, anyway, so I don't know how much credit I get to take for her behavior. That said, I did work hard to prepare her for baby brother. She got her own little boy baby doll before Emil was born. We talked about how there was a baby in my belly, and that Esme used to be there too. We discussed how she and her baby brother would be the only people to ever come out of my belly (yes, I'm pretty confident we're not having another).

And after Emil was born, we continued working to keep her enamored of the little baby. I included her as much as possible in taking care of Emil, which made her feel special. And when she couldn't actually help me, she often took care of her baby doll right alongside me and Emil, imitating everything that I did.

What's strange is how she seemed to understand that her position in the family had changed right as Emil was born. She wasn't resentful about it, either. Before Emil was born, she had this habit of referring to herself as "baby" in third person. For example, she would say, "Baby want juice" if she wanted juice. But literally the day that Emil was born, she started using the pronoun "I" and speaking in first person. It was like flipping a switch. She recognized that there was a new baby in the family, and that she wasn't the baby anymore. She had a new role as big sister, and she takes that role very seriously.

For the first few weeks that Emil was here, Esme would constantly check on him. If he wasn't in Mommy's arms, she got worried. She would ask where he was, and if she didn't see him anywhere, tears would well up as she started to panic. I quickly learned not to joke about Baby Brother disappearing. (I confess, the first time she asked where he went, I threw my arms up and said, "I don't know! Where'd he go?" I had no idea she would get so upset!)

I'm not kidding myself. I know that they will fight. And yes, there are times already that Esme gets a little jealous. She has told me on more than one occasion to "put him down!" so that I can pick her up. But overall, I think that they are off to an excellent start.

One of the reasons we had our children so close together was that my brother and I were only a year and a half apart, and we are best friends. We have always shared experiences and friends, and I wouldn't trade that relationship for the world. I wanted Esme to have someone close to her in age and close to her in genetics growing up. My brother and I were notorious for fighting, I'll admit it. Those closest to us (i.e., Mom, Dad and our older sister) called us the Brat Twins, a nickname that we earned with our behavior. For all the spats we went through (and the occasional all-out brawl), he is still one of my favorite and closest friends.

So I am prepared to cringe and bear it when Emil and Esme go at it. And in the meantime, I'm doing everything I can to encourage them to love each other. It's a good thing they make my job so easy.

1 comment:

emily evison said...

When Imogen was born I was stunned by how moving it felt seeing my husband fall in love with this beautiful baby. Second time round it has been watching Imogen with her baby brother which has filled me with awe. When asked by a friend's mum how it was now the baby was born, her response was that 'There is so much more love in our house' and it almost brought me to tears. She sobbed inconsolably when he cried at first (although he doesn't cry much)as she couldn't bear to hear him unhappy. Now, though, she runs to him with a brisk and assertive 'I think the baby needs his big sister', or 'Mummy- Atticus needs a booby/burping/nappy change' and I am amazed that she can distinguish his cries as clearly as I can.