Friday, February 2, 2007

Our Favorite Children's Books

Continuing yesterday's theme of books, I thought I'd share some of our favorite books here. It drives me crazy getting all of these children's books that are poorly written and having to read them over and over. So here are some books that I find it a pleasure to read time and again with Esme, and that she enjoys just as much.

- In the Night Kitchen, by Maurice Sendak.
Okay, so pretty much any book by Sendak is great. But Esme wants to read this one at least twice a day, and she gets so excited, telling me what's going on in the book: "Look, Mommy, Mickey's in the batter!"

- The Wedding Procession of the Rag Doll and the Broom Handle and Who Was in It, by Carl Sandburg.
Yes, the title is a mouthfull. But it's by Carl Sandburg! Finally, a real writer! It has delightful images (the spoonlickers were my favorites as a child, and they've proven to be Esme's favorites, too), written in a lilting voice. I just don't get tired of it.

-Jamberry, by Bruce Degan.
A fun tale about a boy and a bear hunting berries together. It has so much that feeds a child's imagination, and is written beautifully. I have to thank our niece Anna, who loved this book, for introducing it to us. It's been one of Esme's favorites since she was just learning to talk.

- A Day at the Market, by Sara Anderson.
Jacob's sister gave us this book for Hannekuh, and it has been a blast to read. It's a poetic, colorful tour of Pike Place Market in Seattle, and does an incredible job of capturing the energy of a busy market place. It's fun to read and has me itching to go visit this market in Seattle. Esme likes to read it two or three times in a row, and given that it's a pretty long book, that's saying something!

-The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss
I almost didn't include this because I figured everyone has to know about the Lorax already, but my babysitter Heidi, who has raised two of her own children, had never heard of it. It is a child's first environmental awakening, and I think it is Dr. Seuss's finest work. It's a little long for a toddler, but Esme sits through the whole thing mesmorized because the story is that good.

- Green Eggs and Ham, by Dr. Seuss
Yes, I could list every Dr. Seuss book here. But this one is another gem for us. I do get a little tired of the repetition, but toddler's thrive on it. And it's worth it to hear Esme yell out "Yes he does!" everytime I read, "I do not like green eggs and ham."

What are your favorite children's books?

2 comments:

ecotechnoconscious said...

Chase & I enjoy "Grandfather Twilight" by Barabara Helen Berger. It's a nice bedtime story! The new children's bookstore in San Carlos is called "Storybook Lane" on the north end of Laurel St.

dd said...

I'll second all of those suggestions, but I'd have to say that Jamberry would be my favorite out of that list.