Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Potty Training Mantra

Esme will not be in diapers at age 10. Esme will not be in diapers at age 10. This is my mantra these days, because as slow going as the potty training stage is, I have to remind myself that it will not last forever.

Truth is, we've made progress lately. She's put an Elmo sticker on the special "potty calendar" everyday. Problem is that she thinks once a day is all she has to go. Ask her if she wants to go a second time, and you get the, "I do it tomorrow" statement in a matter of fact voice. That is if she doesn't say, "I already went potty."

We tried to up the ante by baking a special potty cake as Dr. Phil suggests to celebrate her efforts and telling her she only gets to eat a piece after she uses the potty. She even has the doll that goes potty, and we lavish praise on the doll to show Esme how good it is to go potty. But still she draws the line at once a day.

We have a special potty training book that she loves and only gets to read when sitting on the potty. And following the advice of another mom I know, we let Esme run around naked for days at a time, to help her learn to use her potty, but that just caused her to throw a fit for her diaper when she had to go. "I need to put on a diaper now, please!"

In short, I feel like I've tried all the things they recommend in books.

So we're taking a page from our friend Chandra and her daughter Chase's method: Jelly Bellies. I'm going to introduce them tonight as special potty treats. Wish us luck! And repeat after me: Esme will not be in diapers at age 10. Esme will not be in diapers at age 10.

1 comment:

emily evison said...

I found that using cloth diapers exclusively helped lots as Imogen was aware of her own wetness more. Even eco-disposeables are too good at their job, and kids often feel dry even when wet. We also did it in phases- poop first (as they are usually regular to a certain extent- or you can recognise the signs yourself), at home no nappies, out and about, then night/nap time.
It did take almost a month for her to be dry night and day, but was certainly a wonderful transition. Also, in the beginning I found that it was potty-training me as much as anything. Remembering to remind her to try before we went out/sat down to a meal/it had been a while.
I wasn't prepared to get pregnant again until she was out of nappies, so I'm glad things worked quickly. Now it's been nearly a year of nappylessness and the next baby should be here any day now, ready for a whole new cycle!