Saturday, April 28, 2007

Have potty, will travel

It's time for a potty training update here. Things are going pretty well right now (knock on wood). Emil has pooped in the potty twice today, and peed a few times. He's only peed in his diaper once today. Esme has peed in the potty all day, but did poop in her diaper once, too. There was a sweet moment just now when I was pottying Emil, and Esme said, "I want to go potty too, like Emil!" Too bad she had pooped in her diaper about five minutes before making that announcement. I guess you can't win them all.

I'm not sure what caused the recent change in Esme's desire to use the potty. It could be any number of things. A natural progression of maturity, seeing her baby brother use the potty, switching to cloth when at home. Who knows? All I know is that two weeks ago, when I asked Esme if she wanted to use the potty she would answer with a resolute no. I would reply that it would make mommy very happy, to which she answered, "But you already very happy, Mommy."

Then one day, it was like a switch was flipped in her little noggin. Suddenly, she announced, "I use the potty!" And lo and behold, she did, and has several times since then.

I know many of you aren't as interested in a toddler's potty training as you may be in the infant's, so here's the quick update on Emil.

I still haven't read the book on Infant Potty Training, but what we're doing is pretty simple. I just try to remember to give Emil the opportunity to go in the potty frequently throughout the day. His little body has a natural reaction to the "pssss" sound now, and as soon as I hold him over his little Baby Bjorn potty, he lets it go if he has to. The hardest thing is me remembering to get him there. On busy days, he goes way more often in his diaper. But on days that I'm on the ball and able to do it, he goes mostly on the potty. My hope is that by doing this now, he will make the transition to potty much earlier than Esme. My goal is to have him out of diapers by the time he's 2.

We're going to be traveling in Europe for most of the month of June, and as the date quickly approaches, I'm wondering how our potty training will survive this trip. Will we be crossing the ocean with a potty in our luggage? Most likely. God knows how we'll pack for all of us for a month and still be able to make it through the airport and to and from hotels and apartments and on trains and into rental cars. But if Esme can be mostly potty trained by then, I'll be one happy mama.

1 comment:

emily evison said...

I was reading your potty training odyssey with interest, but when I got to the 'how will it survive our travelling?' I gulped. Imogen was disturbingly easy to potty train, at 2 years two months it took under a month to have her clean and dry night and day. But that was March, then we went to spend Passover/Easter with the inlaws in NJ and she totally regressed. I don't know whether it was change of scene, Mummy relaxing and doing less reminding or jet-lag, but she spent the entire two week trip back in nappies. Surprisingly, though, it only took three days when we got back to remind her of what goes where.

Now that Atticus is in nappies, she has been fascinated by them and occasionally asks to have one on her. Pampers must have gotten wind of this because they sent us a free sample of a pull-up for toddlers. Then one day at nap-time, I heard a call- 'Mummy I need a nappy change'. She had woken up, found the nappy, put it on and weed in it, only to discover how horrid it feels. Now she couldn't be more keen to try and change Atticus when he's wet. 'Poor baby, his nappy must feel awful'.