Monday, April 16, 2007

Searching for the perfect baby-wearing device

Ever since Esme was born I have been on the search for the perfect sling/pouch/baby-wearing device. Now that I have two children and seen one child through different ages of baby-wearing (we still wear her, even though she is 2 and a half!), I have learned a lot. The biggest lesson is that not one carrier will fit every person or every baby.

When Esme was a newborn, the Kangaroo pouch was one of her favorite places to be. But Emil was born leaping out of our arms, almost literally. He is a squirmy worm, arms and legs jutting out with no warning or rhythm, back arched in defiance. The pouch, which holds a tiny baby in stretchy fleece material is kind of like an artificial womb, and thus way too confining for Emil. He is much more of a Baby Bjorn kind of kid, facing out to watch the world, kicking his legs and punching his arms freely as he sees something that excites him (usually a smiling woman going all goo-goo on him).

But the Baby Bjorn hurts my back, so we recently tried a new carrier called the Ergo. It also serves as a soft (as opposed to hard frame) back carrier. Emil likes it better than the pouch, but not as well as the Bjorn. However, it is so much nicer for my back that I don't carry him in the Bjorn anymore. The Ergo works almost like a good backpack for hiking - takes the weight and holds it in around the waist, reducing the stress on the back. The only problem with it is that Emil can't face outward, but only inward towards me, and he's a little extrovert, always on the lookout for women to flirt with. The Ergo cramps his style a little, but he puts up with it.

The pouch has been a wonderful carrier for Esme even as she has gotten older. She now rides in it on our hips, with the pouch hugging her tight to my body and keeping my arms from doing the tough job of holding her for extended periods of time. Last May, when we were in a small town Mexico for a week, she went everywhere attached to our hips this way, and it was wonderful - much better than a stroller bumping over dirt and cobbled streets.

And so the result of my search is this: different babies might have the different perfect baby-wearing devices. May you find your perfect one sooner rather than later! They make life so much nicer.

3 comments:

emily evison said...

Well, talk about timing, I've just had a test box of a dozen different slings dropped off by a friend! I had a pouch sling for Imogen but the hemp fabric was too abrasive so I ended up lining it with a blanket and it got too bunchy. I have a Bjorn, too, and loved it when they're older. Atticus is six weeks now and I don't like him in it yet- too exposed and bobble-headed. My current favourite is a Mai Tei (which you could almost wear alone as a shirt in California) as it is nurturing, secure and versatile.

Baby-wearing is such a fabulous way of allowing a child to learn their own rhythms- sleeping and feeding when their own bodies dictate. Read the Continuum Concept by Jean Liedloff for some interesting ideas on the subject.

Anyway, I've got an evening of sling-play ahead, so I'll let you know if there are any interesting results. I have yet to try the Ergo, but it's in the box!

Aeron Noe said...

Em - I think you'll like the Ergo when Atticus gets a little older. Emil is digging it more and more these days. And I can't tell you how comfortable it is for me!

emily evison said...

So far my favourite is the Wilkinet (www.wilkinet.co.uk). It's simple, secure and comfortable, and I can see it continuing well into his older months. The lovely lady who leant me the slings agrees with you about the Ergo, she also discovered the Mamajacket (www.mamajacket.com) which is a particularly cunning coat with zip up both front and back to allow a baby to peep out. You can also insert a panel to wrap around the child (with their own head-hole). I love their knitted poncho, it somehow looks sleek even over two!

The only sling I've rejected so far is an African verion of the mei-tei. It wraps around the body horizontally, without shoulder straps, and makes me nervous- maybe I just need better curves!