Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Imitating the creatures in my care

Yoga class was splendid, a solid hour and a half to stretch my muscles and focus on my breathing. At the beginning of the class, the teacher asked us to set an intention for our practice. It's yoga psycho-babble, I know, but somehow I know what she means. By setting an intention, we focus our energy. Lately, my intention always seems to be practice patience with Esme, what with all our potty training trouble. But since I've let her back into diapers, I just relaxed into the yoga session and let it be what it would.

As I moved through the postures, child's pose (Esme sleeping), happy baby (Emil laughing on the floor after being tickled), downward dog (Cleo begging me to play with her), it struck me that I was shedding my caretaker role and trying to get back some of the focus on myself through my yoga practice. The children and the dogs are always my focus these days. This was about me getting the freedom to be like a little kid or a playful puppy dog. It was an interval of freedom from responsibility.

At the end of the yoga session, the teacher said, "Now think of something you're grateful for." My answer to this is almost always the same: I am grateful for my family. But this time, my response was different. I was grateful for the yoga class, for reminding me to take care of myself.

No comments: