Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Art of Blogging

I was just reading Emily's comments on my post about teaching second languages, and the thought bubbled up (as it has before) that these types of conversations we're able to have through The Daily Spitup are invaluable to me.

It's almost like letter-writing, except that we have set the topic of parenting for all of our exchanges. Posting to the blog enables me to take an experience, whether it is a major endeavor like potty training, or a little moment, like watching the children play together, and internalize it. It makes me more thoughtful about my parenting techniques, and gives me the satisfaction of hearing other viewpoints on the issues that I face every day. It's not like email, which is usually typed up and sent without too much thought. It's a different kind of outlet, and one that gives me much satisfaction both as a writer and as an analytic thinker.

I was resistant to blogging for a long time, thinking of it as an online diary. Blogging as an art is much like journaling, in that it allows for unique points of view and it often allows individual styles to shine through where other, more formulaic outlets mute individuality. But in its best form, it is more than a journal. A journal is presumably written for the author. A blog is written for an unlimited audience. The best blogs have distinct styles: witty, irreverent, flirtatious, informative, gossipy, etc. For me, it has been a practice in the art of the essay, adopted for the modern world. What technology has added to this ancient art is the ability to record and constantly add the readers' views, thus making it a conversation rather than a monologue. So thank you, Emily, for all of your comments. And for the others who have posted their own thoughts. Keep them coming.

1 comment:

emily evison said...

I agree entirely with your comments, Aeron. I see this blog as a forum for discussing parenting ideas and responses. You trigger some wonderfully thought-provoking responses, and I love checking in. BBC radio 4 has a 'Thought for the Day' at 9am, allowing strong minded individuals the opportunity to insert a pearl of wisdom into one's day. I love listening to it when I can. Your blog fulfils a similar function in my day. In the middle of the joy and travails of parenting, checking in to your blog is like an ongoing conversation. I can pick it up when nap-times allow (with a little Garrison Keilor over the internet) and mull over a response.

Having moved long distances several times over my lifetime, my closest friends are not in close geographical proximity. As a result, online conversations have become a new form of discussion and way of keeping in touch. I always loved letter-writing, and feel that email has revived a dying form of communication.

I wish more responses were forthcoming, as I'd love to hear more input, but even if it were just you and I, Aeron, I would be grateful for this space. It provides me with a secure space to explore parenting ideas, I just wish we could all be sharing a bottle of wine as we do it!