Friday, July 13, 2007

At the end of the day

I've had one of those long, long days where parenting a young baby and a big toddler has made me frazzled, and of course the more frazzled I get the more difficult they, and everything else, becomes.

Maybe it's because the rainiest July in forever means there are less options outside, but sometimes full-time parenting is unbelievably hard. I felt pretty slick this morning- everyone washed and dressed, breakfast (oatmeal and eggs) cooked, eaten and cleaned up, walk enjoyed (complete with puddle-jumps), poodle skirt made from scratch for carnival, bread baking and laundry washing. All with Aretha Franklin providing the soundtrack. Iit was a happy morning and the children were divine- sort of making up for my sleepless night.

Then it all changed when Imogen boycotted her nap. She's doing this lately and I think is growing out of it. The only problem is that for the afternoon of a no-nap day she becomes a clumsy, tearful, slobbery toddler then needs to go to bed at 6pm.

And that was our afternoon: she woke Atticus up a couple of times, so he was cranky and overtired. I was exhausted and trying to get a dinner ready and house tidied a little with him in sling and her arguing, then tripping over and needing a cuddle. By the time I laid him in his moses basket, all I needed was a glass of red wine in a candle-lit bath. It was not to be, and he woke every 5 minutes for nearly an hour with gas, not his fault. The fact that I needed a little time to myself meant that each time I settled him was less calm than the previous, and so less likely to encourage a deep slumber. Hence he was more likely to reawaken. I used to think taking a class of teenagers camping in Yosemite for a week was tiring until I had young children!

Finally, though, all are asleep and wine is breathing. I can relax. The candlelit bath will have to wait, though, until we've installed the tub in the bathroom!

2 comments:

Aeron Noe said...

Wow, can I relate. I think it's part of the super mom phenomenon. We work so hard to be perfect parents, and at the end of the day, there's nothing left for us. I've been thinking about this a lot, as my sister has been on the verge of a breakdown from being supermom, and I'm essentially scaling back my work load so that I can give more to my children. The question is: how good is our quality of care when the caretaker herself isn't taken care of?

I think you need a day off - hand the kids off to someone and go do something that is 100% for yourself!

emily evison said...

Fortunately today was the village carnival, and a bright, lovely day. We wandered around stalls, danced to music, paddled in the beck and took part in Immi's school float on the parade. Then home to christen the new firepit and barbecue all evening. I feel like another woman. It's just as well because yesterday had me as a shadow of my former self.

Thanks for letting me vent!